Day in and day out, your heart pumps nutrient-rich blood through miles of blood vessels, arteries, veins, and capillaries—and it doesn’t really ask for much in return. However, there are some things you can do to help this vital muscle do its job efficiently.
Many of us have sedentary jobs in offices and work takes up a significant part of our day. February is National Heart Health Awareness Month and the American Heart Association has come up with this advice for increasing your physical activity during the work day.
- Brainstorm project ideas with a coworker while taking a walk.
- Create an exercise accountability partnership.
- Walk during business calls when you don’t need to reference important documents.
- Stand while talking on the telephone.
- Walk down the hall to speak with someone rather than using the telephone.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Or get off a few floors early and take the stairs the rest of the way.
- Walk while waiting for the plane at the airport.
- Stay at hotels with fitness centers or swimming pools and use them while on business trips.
- Take along a jump rope or a resistance band in your suitcase when you travel. Jump and do calisthenics in your hotel room.
- Download some audio fitness coaching.
- Participate in or start a recreation league at your company.
- Form a sports team to raise money for charity events.
- Join a fitness center or YMCA near your job. Work out before or after work to avoid rush-hour traffic, or drop by for a noon workout.
- Schedule exercise time on your business calendar and treat it as any other important appointment.
- Get off the bus a few blocks early and walk the rest of the way to work or home.
- Walk around your building for a break during the work day or during lunch.
- Some have mastered the art of typing while on a treadmill by securing the laptop to the base. Be creative!
Your heart thrives when you eat high-fiber, low-fat meals, get regular exercise and rest, and tackle any conditions that can raise your risk of heart disease (such as high blood pressure, diabetes, excess stress, and smoking).
The Heart Health Pack from Melaleuca is a heart-smart trio of Phytomega®, Provex CV®, and FiberWise® Drink. Working together, these naturally derived dietary supplements complement your heart-healthy efforts by helping to prevent LDL cholesterol oxidation and helping to maintain healthy blood platelet activity and triglyceride levels.